Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dressing up dogs for Halloween?

I have a confession to make.  I am not normally a Scrooge, but I'm very bah humbug when it comes to people dressing up their dogs in costumes.  I know everyone does it, but when they do I can't help but look at them and hope they get professional therapy for it. 

It's a free country, folks can do what they want.  I have a friend with a Chihuahua that she dresses in little outfits to match HER outfits.  She calls her dog a "Bling Chihuahua"-- her accessorizing him is the focal point of their relationship.  That poor dog.

Some major brand pet stores are now selling little outfits that look like infant clothing.  They're high-margin pet accessories for little dogs.  They're encouraging the madness.  I admit to having a few high-margin pet accessories of my own-- my Borzoi has a few really magnificent collars from Two Hounds Design.  She wears them all the time though, they're collars.  It's not a tutu or a bee costume with wings and antennae.

I'm not opposed to beauty.  I'm opposed to people thinking their dogs are little dolls to be dressed up for their own amusement.  It's gross.  Dogs are already beautiful.  They don't need to be made ridiculous.

Dogs may need a jacket for added warmth-- I'm OK with that, of course, and it can be beautiful.  But I'm not a fan of the dog costume thing.  I love a party opportunity to get people together for dog training games, but you won't see me dressing my dog in a costume.  It's just undignified.

I laughed the other day when I picked my dog up from the groomer and saw that the kennel offered an extra service to dogs boarded there (for a fee of course)-- they could have a bedtime story read to them.  A bedtime story read to them.  I laughed out loud.

I hope everyone has a very fun and happy Halloween, and that their dogs can get through it without being transformed into a Yoda, or a Zoro, or a hot dog, etc.   Teach your dog to hold the handle of a little plastic pumpkin for trick or treating and sit up and beg for a treat with it.  That's cute. 

Having said all this, though, I will leave this topic sharing a fun video from fellow trainer Emily Larlham, from San Diego.







No comments:

Post a Comment