Friday, December 29, 2023

Doing a Year End Review for 2023

I am a bit of a productivity nerd, and it may be nerdy but it has served me very well in my life.  I'm turning my attention today the concept of a year end review and goal setting for our dog training-- but before I do, let me share with you this wonderful video about how to conduct a personal review of your past year and identify your goals for the next year.  Dave Edwards provides content on how to be more productive, and refers to a system called Getting Things Done (which I have used and liked a lot- I still use parts of it).  There's a great little book on it but you don't need to know the system to benefit from Dave's video-- here. https://youtu.be/tHuiI_pwu-k?si=x5Qu5LWe_avADY3r  ..  Dave has us ask ourselves these questions:


So let us now take his suggestions and apply them specifically to our dog and ours goals for 2024.  I'm going put myself in the shoes of someone who is relatively new to learning to train their dog. It might go like this: 

EVALUATING THE DOG:

What aspects of life in society is my dog really good at? (Comfortable with lots of new things, Polite with strangers and other animals, Travels nicely in the car, Is easy for someone else to care for and is crate-trained, Walks nicely through crowds... )

What aspects of life in society are more challenging for my dog?  (Set off by fast-moving objects like scooters, Unwilling to potty on leash, Does not come back to me at the beach, lacks good cafe manners, has anxiety when left alone)

Health and Handling-

How well does my dog allow/tolerate vet, groomer and owner handling of his body?  What areas need more work?  How much have we practiced all of this? Am I easily able to trim his toenails every 2 weeks? Get some dog toothpaste (with the enzymes) into his mouth and do some dental care? Check him carefully for ticks? Does my dog trust me 100% when I am handling him? Has he been exposed to healthcare items like syringes, ear drop bottles, and bandages?  Being up on a table and standing still while I give him a practice vet exam? Will he willingly take a pill (if hidden in food?).  Will my dog allow me to distract him with rewards while being given a shot at the vet? Do we regularly practice getting a shot with some gentle finger pressure? 


Basic behaviors and clear cues/vocabulary: 

Has my dog successfully completed (through my training him) the entire basic manners program Diane has provided?  (Come, Attention, Let's Go, Leave It, Sit, Down, Stay). Do I know where to access that program? If we're not done yet, where exactly are we in the program? Do I have a clear list of cues that I use consistently, and could I provide a "cue vocabulary list" to someone who has to care for him in my absence?  Does my dog know how to go lay on his designated spot or mat and stay there until I release him?  For what duration will he do that successfully? 

My dog's training notes:

What is the current hierarchy of value with regards to rewards, according to my dog's preferences? What is his favorite toy? What types of environments does he find the most challenging?  Where are the locations where he is able to easily focus and learn?  What cues does he give that he is bored, or stressed, or not focusing? 

EVALUATING ME, THE TRAINER:

My training knowledge: 

What 3 books did I read this year about dog training? What 10 videos did I watch? What areas are confusing to me and could use some help?  Do I understand conditioned emotional responses, desensitization and counter-conditioning, shaping, adding a cue, fading a lure, raising criteria the right way, and managing the environment?  What questions have I brought to Diane for clarification?  What do I want to do/add/improve next year in my knowledge?

My training set up and system

How well did I keep track of our training sessions (do I have a good system for this?), and how well did I follow a training plan?  Did I train for 5 minutes at least 3 times a day?  How prepared am I when I go out in public with my dog, do I have a good treat bag and is it easy to keep a few poop bags etc in it? Do I have a list of good locations for training - one for beginning a new behavior, another for a slightly distracting environment, and a third for a slightly more distracting environment?  Am I being consistent in the frequency of my training sessions?  Am I rewarding frequently? Am I following a training plan? Am I clear in each session what our goal is for that session (with regard to distance, duration or distraction?  Or, in some cases, speed or intensity?).  Is my dog having fun? Does my dog show enthusiasm for training?  What do I want to do/add/improve next year in my training sessions? 

Do I have the right training equipment for my dog and our efforts?  Do I need to get or make a good long-line? Do I have or need a harness that will attach the leash on the chest?  Is my set of food rewards good enough?  Do I need to change it up a bit to keep my dog interested? 

My goals for trained-behaviors and my improvement as a trainer in 2024

What behaviors need to be trained in 2024?  What behaviors are started, and need to be progressed to a more advanced level? What behaviors need to be practiced for maintenance purposes?   What is my booked-into-my-calendar training session schedule (at least 3 short sessions per day)?

Am I enjoying learning how to train my dog?  If not, why?  Is there anything I can do or modify to increase my own motivation to do this?  Are there resources I might ask Diane to help me find that might give me some inspiration and motivation? 

Administrative logistics:

Do I have a current will and healthcare directive in case something happens to me (a car accident, for example) or I die? Is it updated to include instructions about my dog, including contact info for my vet, and have I set up an agreement with someone who would immediately step in to care for my dog and deal with rehoming him if necessary?   Does that person have access to my home to retrieve my dog in the event of an emergency?

Do I have a note in my calendar alerting me to each vaccination's expiration date so I can be sure to get him updated without having to scramble? 

Do I have a little kit I provide to whomever is boarding my dog in my absence?  That includes my dog's vocabulary list, and my authorization that they can order/authorize to any vet care that might be required in my absence, and my agreement to pay the bill?  

 

  

 

     




 

No comments:

Post a Comment