Sunday, February 19, 2012

Brushing my dogs' teeth with a Sonicare toothbrush

I've been giving some thought to the best way to care for my dogs' teeth.  I don't have the right equipment or lifestyle, sadly, to feed a raw diet to my dogs, and since one of my dogs is a Borzoi (a breed with some sensitivity to anesthesia) the idea of having their teeth cleaned with the help of a vet who will put them under for the procedure is unattractive.

I could brush their teeth with a manual toothbrush, which two of my dogs will tolerate, but I don't feel I am going a very thorough job, and I confess that we don't have time to do this for all three dogs every day (by any means). 

My large dog, a Borzoi, has not been trained to allow me to brush her teeth, and I've decided (and I can't believe I'm saying this publicly) to train all three of them to allow me to brush their teeth using a Sonicare toothbrush.

The ultrasonic sound waves do a much better job of breaking up the tarter on the teeth and dislodging bacteria than a regular toothbrush.  We use a Sonicare on our own teeth, so why not on our dogs?

I'm going to put together a comprehensive training plan which I will share with you.  I'm doing a lot of traveling this year for my job that pays my mortgage, so this is going to be a slow effort.  Anyone out there want to join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment